Page County, Virginia was split off from sections of Shenandoah and Rockingham Counties in 1831, named after an early 19th century Virginia Governor, John Page. The town of Luray is the county seat. The town of Stanley and nearly two dozen unincorporated communities make up form the county, which is located in the eastern part of the Shenandoah Valley, tucked between the Blue Ridge and Massanutten Mountain ranges.
Both Confederate and Union soldiers used Page County as a route to and from Gettysburg during the Civil War. Confederate General "Stonewall" Jackson frequently used the county as a thoroughfare for his 40,000 troops.
The South Fork of the Shenandoah River runs through Page County, offering many outdoor recreational activities. A number of festivals and other activities happen throughout the county each year. Luray Caverns in Luray is one of the biggest tourist attractions in the Shenandoah Valley. This National Natural Monument brings in over half a million visitors annually.
Visit us on Facebook.
The Edinburg Mill survived the Burning of the Shenandoah Valley in 1864, now a museum and visitor center in Edinburg, Virginia
The Edinburg Mill survived the Burning of the Shenandoah Valley in 1864, now a museum and visitor center in Edinburg, VirginiaPhoto: Hank Zimmerman