Martinsburg is the largest city in West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle and is the county seat of Berkeley County. The first United States post office was established at Martinsburg in 1792.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad reached Martinsburg in 1842 and the city became a center for the railroad industry and its workers. In June 1861, Civil War Confederate General Stonewall Jackson destroyed railroad cars at the Martinsburg B&O Railroad complex and commandeered the stean locomotives, dragging them overland through Winchester and Strasburg, Virginia, and onward to the south. The B&O Roundhouse, with its cast iron frame structure, remains a major architectural attraction in the city.
Fairs, festivals, art galleries, historic sites and recreational activities are scheduled there year round. Aspen Hall, a Georgian mansion built in 1745, is the oldest house in the city and reflects the city’s cultural heritage. Many of the wealthy residents of Aspen Hall played key roles in the agricultural, religious, transportation, and political history of the region.
Visit us on Facebook.
Hugh Morrison Jr. photographed the people and places of Shenandoah County, Virginia, during the first half of the 1900s, until 1950. He compiled an immense body of work, now archived by the Shenandoah County Historical Society. The collection includes more than 25,000 digital images. Photo: Hugh Morrison Jr. Archives Collection